About the School
Saint Luke's is a Voluntary Aided School with a Church of England foundation. Children receive a broad and balanced education based in Christian faith and love. It is a one form entry primary school catering for boys and girls between the ages of four and eleven years.
Our Mission Statement:
With a Christian environment we strive for excellence in all we do.
We hope you enjoy looking round our website. Please check back for new additions and updates.
Mrs C Armistead
A Short History Of St Luke's
St Luke's CE Primary School was opened on its present site in 1928. Previously St Luke's School had been in a building in the church grounds, but during the incumbancy of Rev. Elwood the school was condemned as being unsafe. People of the parish set about raising money for a new school building. They held sales of work and various fundraising efforts in their homes, went round the parish collecting twopence or threepence per house each week or looked to people giving larger donations.
The present school has seen many changes since 1928 not least of which has been the extensive building work during the Summer Term 1999, which has provided the school with a new Early Years Unit. This was brought about when history repeated itself and a section of the school was condemned in 1996. The computer suite was added in 2006.
A past member of the lunchtime welfare staff attended the school in 1948 and remembers railings dividing the playground with boys in one half and girls in the other, two large open sided sheds were also in the playground for 'wet playtimes' and toilets were outside and used to freeze up in the winter. There was no school hall and so a wooden screen between two of the classrooms (the present Years 5 and 6) was pulled back for morning assembly and at lunchtimes for school meals. Her memory is of between 40 and 50 children in each class.